Monday, September 6, 2010

Considering citizenship

As many of you know, I recently moved to Michigan.   I live in a boarder town where I can (and do) cross a bridge and find myself in another country.  I attend church in Canada.  I workout at the Chi Mukwa Community Center and teach at Bay Mills Community College in the land of the Ojibwe.  I find myself pondering what it means to be a citizen.  

People talk about being a "global citizen" or a "citizen of the world".   In school we have to take citizenship tests, and we get recognized as being a "good citizen".   We are suppose to "exercise" our citizenship by voting.  But what about those of us who have multiple citizenships?  Or what if our citizenship that is not recognized by others?

This article attempts to present both sides of one example of this issue: citizens of the Iroquois Nation wish to travel using their own passports rather than US passports. 

Questions to blog about:
  • Why is it so important for members of this nation to travel under their own passports? 
  • Government is for the protection of its citizens -- what are the disadvantages and advantages of tribal passport use vs. US passports?
  • Considering terrorism, identity theft, and other dangers, make an argument about whether or not tribes should issue passports for their citizens. 

1 comment:

marie said...

I think it would be more of a problem to travel with a tribal issued passport-especially overseas-as most countries would not be familiar with the particular tribe.