Tuesday, October 16, 2007

True confessions of a college researcher

We were asked to talk a little about our methods as a researcher and what databases we use, how we determine validity/credibility and how we organize it for writing.

*Takes deep breath* I'm not much of a library person. I like libraries in theory well enough, but they just aren't very convenient. They are for some things (I mean I go to the Roseville Library/Dunn Bros. at least 3 times a week) - to grab a new mystery, rent a video, to study away from your apartment, and grab a cup of coffee. However, my local library does NOT have the academic sources that I need.

And I guess I'm just lazy. I don't want to travel a half hour to go to the U's library only to discover what I thought I needed isn't really useful, is lost, or someone else has checked it out before me. I adore full text. My search strategies are biased toward not having to change out of my Eeyore slippers and fuzzy pajama pants on a Saturday.

How do I research then? My absolutely favorite search engines are things like Educational Full Text and Google Scholar (GS). Google scholar might raise a few eyebrows, but I often can get better sources faster using GS and changing my key words because I can look at the articles to see if they are relevant. Also the U has a find it feature that allows me to get articles that aren't available for everyone but that are through the U. Advanced features allow me to sort limiting by year or by being a peer-reviewed source. Sometimes I find that I can get through GS what I can't get through the U due to broken links or paper-only availability.

What about needing a book? I actually do break down and go to the library for some things, but a portion of the time I buy used books online. Shipped right to your door many times for less than you might think. And there are never any overdue notices, fines or recalls!

How do I organize information? Sadly I'm not completely digital native - I usually cut and paste sections of text (and page numbers) into a Word document. I then open another document where I write the paper itself. I'll copy over direct quotes from my source text but most of the time I'll paraphrase from my source text and delete the source text as it is incorporated. This way I know that I haven't plagiarized and can see what material I still plan on incorporating, Many times I will make some book marks of online sources so I can get back to information easily.

I have not used de.lico.us but I am interested in perhaps using it in the future. I'm not sure i would be sharing my bookmarks with many people - who would be that interested? - but perhaps I will see uses for it once I start using it.

No comments: